(CNN) — A 7-month-old boy died in a Florida hospital after eating a laundry detergent pod, officials confirmed, although they have not said whether the detergent caused the boy’s death.
An investigation into the August 9 death is ongoing, said Terri Durdaller with the Florida Department of Children and Families.
The department has had a “prior history with this family,” Durdaller said, declining to elaborate. The Orlando Sentinel reports the mother and child were in a battered women’s shelter at the time of the incident.
There are no known documented cases of children dying from laundry detergent packets, said Dr. Cynthia Lewis-Younger, medical director for the Florida Poison Information Center.
Lewis-Younger would not confirm the baby, whom the Orlando newspaper identified as Michael Williams, had died as a direct result of consuming the pod.
If the cause of death is ruled as poisoning from the laundry detergent pod, it would…
View original post 127 more words